Thursday 29 December 2011

ITAP- Development of creative thought

Artist Unknown

Creativity and the thought processes which it entails is something that can not always be learnt or furthermore taught. It is now scientifically accepted that the majority of the population have a tendency to use 1 side of their brain more than the other. Those who use their right side of their brain are more creative. Also the right side of the brain being home to philosophy, imagination and spatial perception while those of the left side persuasion often being more logical, analytical and expository. By no means does this mean that if a person tilts more towards the right or left side of thinking that they are completely lacking in some of the traits of their opposing brain side. In my case for example I would confidently say that I am more of a right side of the brain person, being a creative I would at least hope to be. But I also can be extremely analogical and over-rational to the point sometime where I can stunt my own creative process by completely shunting my own artwork because I hate it. So this is to be taken as an excepted rule of thumb but by no means a universal guide for every person on the planet.

Overcoming mindsets.
Overcoming mindsets. The 1st key principle. As visual communicators we can often become entrapped within a certain way of working which sometimes stunts our design process and can very well get in the way of coming up with an innovative idea and something which is interesting and different. Working in this habitual way gets us predictable results. By keeping to the same creative methods which have worked before you do not allow for change, mistakes and imaginative outcomes. Mistakes are needed, by making mistakes you figure out ways around them, often finding completely different ways of communicating the same idea but still keeping it relative and in keeping with your original idea.

Timesaving irony


Getting rid of Assumptions was the 2nd key principle of the lecture. Assumptions within the visual communication industry for me can be transferred and relative in a number of different disciplines. For me I've seen assumption and preconceptions become a big part of the illustration community, with potential clients not acquiring the help and expertise  of an illustrator for a graphic design job because they do not often think that illustrators could also be graphic designers, which a majority of the time is far from the truth. My disciplinary route choice is illustration, but coming from  a 3 year graphic design course, I have had my fair share of logo design, magazine editing and corporate identity.

Problems ?
Restating problems. The 3rd key principle. There will always be problems and creative hurdles to overcome in graphic communication. more so within creative teams when you can add personality clashes into the melting pot. But this is one of the best things about the creative industry, being able you find a creative team with the right amount of cumulative idea and process with a bit of wanting to tear the other person apart and your onto success. You need another opinion, well in commercial visual communication anyway. When a firm has lifted a brief from an influential client and need to design , lets say a product, for mass market, there is no way you can depend on the imagination and view of a single person. Everyone needs to make a contribution.

                                                                         Workspaces
Ward Jenkins

Mel Milton
Developing Ideational fluency. The 4th key principle, is something which I think I'm generally good at. I have now developed my own way of thought generation and fluent design process, where I write down the concept, image or word in which I wish to take further, then surround it in a type of mind-map of thought and ideas often accompanied by scamps and sketches you immediately illustrative my idea. Another part of my
My process
creative process is collecting ephemera to include in my design process. In my magazine project, I have collected various small publications and dissected things I like and dislike about the magazine, and go on to incorporate some of the better design outcomes in my own spreads. I also like to write, alot, I do this more for myself than the person flicking through my sketchbook. I usually like to explain to myself exactly what I'm doing as I'm doing it as I often forget what I was hoping to attempt by the time I start drawing, others I would delineate entirely.


Managing a creative enviroment. The 5th and final principle. This can be incredibly important, the things you surround yourself with while drawing, designing or writing can have an immense influence on your work. Which is why often you will enter the work space of a creative to see it plastered with everything from sketches to limited edition collectible from a sci-fi movie. Also the reason for sticking up sketches and drawings you have done previously is to help you in times of creative block. If your sat there twiddling your thumbs stuck for something to draw, reclining in your seat and looking at a wall with a sketch you have drawn can help you re draw and re imagine something you had previously created.
My workspace.


No comments:

Post a Comment