Thursday 29 December 2011

ITAP- The RVJ

Drawing by hand

Drawing by hand is something that has become 2nd nature to me. I find it incredibly useful and personally the best way to best communicate ideas, at least in the initial developmental stage. The fluidity you get from lead on paper or even ink is something that you can't attain digitally, this means you can change and tinker with your creative thoughts as your thinking them. As seen in this page taken from my sketchbook, my initial creative process is very sporadic and a bit all over the place, with varying thought stems sprouting from a primary word, concept or image usually accompanied by a sketch to help me to instantly visualise what I am trying to describe.

The 1st key principle was to work by hand, the 2nd being to utilise your creative brain which I'm illustrating in this page from my RVJ. Moving on from my initial sporadic thought processes on the 1st page now I have picked a couple of concepts which I find strong and communicate an clear idea and am concentrating on figuring out how they would work. Using sketches and narrative I am helping myself understand how these more deffinative ideas would work in the context of a magazine, allowing trial an error ,with some being strong and interesting but not really tailored in the magazine layout.

Principle 3 and 4 are perfectly illustrated in this page spread from my RVJ for a number of reasons. Firstly by this stage I am starting to develop a visual language in the literal sense and within design context. The concept on these pages is a narrative illustrative idea of having a character cartoon strip within the magazine entitled "how the brummie got it's accent", highlighting the literal interpretation of a visual language. Also as visible in my stlye and way of working I have developed a visual language within a design context, attaining contunuity in the way i communicate my design process aswell as aesthetics, using muted colours in my sketches and scamps. The 4th key principle, Cyclic design process I have shown at the bottom of the sketchbook spread using arrows and graphic novel type illustrations showing the viewer how the story would develop and change, frame to frame. The 5th key process is highlighted in the overall design process, before moving on in my sketchbook i usually evaluate my thoughts and ideas I have concluded in that point in time, usually choosing which one works best and which not to persue.
                                     Sketchbook process by an artist I admire Johnny Hardstaff
                     Another collection of sketchbooks from an insperational artist Mattias Adolfson

No comments:

Post a Comment